On May1, 2003, the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) Phase II regulations became effective. Required by the EPA Phase II Regulations, municipalities with separate storm sewer systems (MS4s) in urbanized areas are to develop and implement a stormwater management program which addresses six minimum control measures.
- Construction Site Runoff Control
- Good Housekeeping / Pollution Prevention
- Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination
- Post Construction Stormwater Management
- Public Education and Outreach
- Public Involvement and Participation
Best Management Practices
The Town of Agawam is required by the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) to implement Best Management Practices (BMPs) for each of the six minimum controls and report annually to the EPA, activities which meet and exceed the permit requirements.
In addition to the BMP's implemented by the town, we need your help! You can help to improve the water quality of the towns stormwater management system by incorporating some simple healthy habits