- Public Works
- Trash / Recycling
- Bulk Collection
Appointments must be made two weeks prior to the scheduled collection weeks by calling Republic Services at 413-557-6700
- Residents in single to four family units are eligible for the curbside collection of bulky waste.
- Bulky items are household items such as a floor lamp, couch, or mattress that cannot fit in your trash cart.
- *Any refrigerator, freezer, air conditioner or dehumidifier to be collected must have a certificate affixed to it, by a qualified technician, stating all Freon (CFC's) have been removed. Contact your appliance service firm for this service.
- Toilets, sinks, and carpeting - 3 feet in length, maximum weight of 40 pounds, will require a $5 fee per item, paid directly to Republic Services.
- A maximum of 5 items per collection will be taken.
- A maximum 2 televisions per year are allowed.
- Items to be collected must originate from the resident's household and must be placed on the tree-belt by 7 a.m. of the scheduled collection day.
- Residents must call the collection contractor, Republic Services at 413-557-6700 to arrange for a bulk item collection. (Please do not call the Town Hall Offices for an appointment, we cannot schedule the collections, you must do so directly with Republic Services.)
- Bulk Collections will take place on specific weeks throughout the year. Please refer to the currently collection calendar. Appointments must be scheduled 2 weeks prior to the scheduled collection week.
The Mass DEP has issued its final 2030 Solid Waste Master Plan, including strategies to reduce waste disposal 30% by 2050. This long term goal has resulted in changes to Agawam’s curbside program, including the removal of mattresses from our waste stream effective November 1st.
Residents are encouraged to recycle their mattresses in one of the following methods:
- Utilize the mattress take back program from the store your new mattress was purchased from. Many stores offer the removal of old mattresses and box springs for a minimal fee.
- Contact a private waste hauler for collection. Many waste removal, or house clean up companies, offer curbside collection for a fee. Some offer additional services to remove from inside the home.
- Transport mattresses to a local transfer station, such as K&W Transfer Station in W.Spfld or McNamara Transfer Station in Springfield. Residents should call for current pricing.
Materials Specifically Excluded From Bulk Collection
List is not all inclusive.
- Box Spring / Mattresses
- Automobile parts
- Construction and demolition debris such as:
- Pressure treated wood
- Sheet rock
- Exercise Equipment
- Hot tubs
- Household garbage
- Household hazardous waste
- Oil tanks
- Hot water heaters
- Propane tanks
- Rubber tires
- Yard waste
- Bundled Wood
- Bundled Cardboard