- Public Works
- Trash / Recycling
- Mandatory Recycling
Single stream recycling allows residents to mix all acceptable recyclable items in one container. Single stream recycling puts the task of sorting the recyclables in the hands of the facility receiving the materials.
Accepted ItemsPlease recycle the following items in 96-gallon cart.
Containers that are empty and clean of food and beverages.
- Aluminum: Cans, Foil, Pie Pans
- Beverage Bottles and Jugs: Soda, Water, Juice and Milk
- Cartons: Milk and Juice Cartons, Soymilk and Drink Boxes
- Clear Clamshell Fast Food Containers
- Detergent Bottles
- Food Containers: Margarine, Yogurt, Cooking Oil, Condiments and Peanut Butter
- Glass: Food, Beverage Bottles and Jars
- Mixed Paper
- Boxboard (Examples: Cereal Boxes, Cracker Boxes - Plastic Bags and Trays Removed)
- Business Cards
- Clean Pizza Boxes
- Construction Paper
- Corrugated Cardboard
Corrugated cardboard ONLY may be collected outside the recycling cart. Cardboard must be flattened and no larger than 2 feet by 3 feet to be collected outside the recycling cart.
- Envelopes With windows
- Junk Mail
- Magazines and Catalogs
- Newspapers and Inserts
- Paperback Books and Phone Books
- Post-it Notes
- White and Colored Paper
- Personal Care Bottles: Shampoo, Soap and Hair Conditioner
- Plastic (2-Gallon or Less, Caps and Lids Need Not Be Removed)
- Steel/Tin Cans: Beverage and Pet Food Cans
If you are in need of additional cart space, remove all corrugated cardboard. Flatten and break down cardboard to 3' x 3' pieces. Stack cardboard next to your recycling cart. Driver will collect cardboard only stacked next to cart.
DO NOT INCLUDE
- Aerosol Cans
- Auto Glass
- Bottles Used for Hazardous Materials (Antifreeze, Oil, etc.)
- Broken Glass
- Coat Hangers (Metal or Plastic)
- Containers Over 2 Gallons
- Drinking Glasses
- Egg, Soda or Beer Cartons
- Shredded Paper
- Gift Wrap and Tissue Paper
- Light Bulbs
- Plastic Bags or Wraps
- Propane Tanks
- Scrap Metal or Metal Objects
- Styrofoam Containers
- Waxed Coated Packaging Paper
- Waxed Paper
Complete List of RecyclablesFor a complete list of what can be recycled, visit Springfield Materials Recycling Facility website.
For waste disposal solutions not found on our website, visit the MassDEP Beyond The Bin Recycling Directory.