What if my cart is damaged?
Damaged carts should be reported within 24 hours of incident to the Department of Public Works at 413-821-0600. Carts damaged outside the times identified in the cart placement section (page 3) will not be the responsibility of the town.

All carts will be inspected prior to exchange. Carts not covered under the manufacturers warranty or deemed accidental will be exchanged at a cost of $65 to the home owner.

Carts requiring maintenance due to normal wear and tear (wheels and lids) should contact Republic Services at 413-557-6700.

Show All Answers

1. How do I know which cart is mine?
2. What if my cart is damaged?
3. What if I sell my home, do I take my carts with me?
4. What if I buy a house and there are no carts?