Five good reasons to test soil:
- Nutrient levels - Test results provide you with soil nutrient levels and fertilizer recommendations when needed.
- Soil Acidity - Soil pH and exchangeable acidity are measured for the determination of lime requirements.
- Environmental Protection - Test results identify areas with excess nutrients that can pollute local waterways.
- Economics - You buy soil amendments only when needed, avoiding unnecessary spending.
- Health - Soil testing can help protect you and your family by alerting you to elevated levels of lead or other toxic heavy metals.
The Department of Public Works will be offering a limited number of Soil Sampling test kits to residents in Agawam.
Residents should visit the Department of Public Works at 1000 Suffield Street to request a Soil Sampling Kit - while supplies last. Kits will include a pre-paid testing form, detailed sampling instructions, packaging for the soil, and a pre-addressed mailing envelope. Residents will be responsible for postage.
For additional kit information call 413-821-0624.
For more information regarding the UMass soil and plant nutrient testing, visit https://ag.umass.edu/services/soil-plant-nutrient-testing-laboratory